Will educational change be a trickle or a tsunami?

on Thursday, October 23, 2008

In class tonight, we talked about education change in the United States, specifically in regards to School 2.0. I've also been reading several blogs (Will Richardson's, for example) about the topic, so these questions just keep rolling around in my head, and I'm not sure of the answers:
1. What type of change does our educational system really need to prepare our students for the 21st century?
2. When will this change occur? Will it keep trickling in, like it has during the last 8 years, or will there suddenly be a huge reformation?
3. How do we facilitate this change to insure we don't lose great teachers (due to burnout), yet keep our students' needs as the number 1 priority?
4. How do we make sure all stakeholders (students, parents, teachers, administration, school boards, tax payers) come to a productive consensus?


I have some ideas, but their not solidly developed yet. I'm hoping to explore these thoughts in my current grad class, Social Networking for Educators.

2 comments:

Jess Cimenski Piombino said...

Good questions! I have not even thought about most of that stuff yet. I guess I am so concerned with just getting to know all of these new tools.

Great insights!

Oscar Sosa said...

Carrie these are great questions. I believe that we are currently in a technology tsunami... it is almost impossible to keep up with new sites, tools, and ideas. And as you point out, these changes are relative to the last few years. I believe that when Generations Y AND Z are managing and teaching within our educational system, they will be the change agents that reform teaching and learning. In general, these two generations are the ones that best recognize the integration of tech into everyday life. So I guess for the educational system it is probably trickle for now, tsunami on the horizon.

Post a Comment